Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dolt-phone and Peace of Mind

I've been fighting getting a smartphone for a while now.  It's not just that I don't want to pay for data. I don't want another device with so much... stuff.  My laptop, iPad, and stupid-phone are enough.  The way this society raises us, it's no wonder so many are afflicted with ADD.  Our attention is constantly jumping from one thing to the next. I know there are great advantages to shrewd-phones, but I can't help but think about the fact that people up through the 90's didn't commonly have these devices. I can't imagine it truly makes our lives easier or happier than theirs.

Sometimes you just need to unplug and enjoy time with the people who are in front of you. Write your friend a letter.  Focus on one thing for a while. ONE thing.  Take a walk in the woods and think. Get lost. You'll find shortcut secrets your GPS will never  divulge.  Have a good, long conversation with one person without someone else distracting you via text.  Constantly seeing and reading what's going on in the lives of hundreds of people you don't even encounter in real life is probably not healthy.  At the end of my days on earth, will I look back and be happy with all the time I spent playing games on my phone instead of perhaps engaging the person sitting next to me on the bus in a conversation?  (I realize sometimes it's not a great idea to talk to strangers, but you can usually tell when it will probably be okay...usually...)  There's enough technological advancement that has allowed me to stop having to think.  Having a clever-phone in my pocket ready to answer any question at any time is going to make it too tempting to think even less.

Don't get me wrong; I know there are lots of good and helpful things about bright-phones and it doesn't have negative effects on everyone, but I don't believe the good outweighs the bad for me personally.  I'll stick with my unintelligent-phone until upgrading becomes unavoidable.





No comments:

Post a Comment