Monday, August 12, 2013

Productiveness and I'll-Think-Of-A-Connection-Later

I've been trying to write this blog post since 7:00 and it's now 8:30.  I understand what causes me to procrastinate when it comes to cleaning the bathroom or writing a term paper (which I thankfully haven't had to do in 5 years, but it makes me want to procrastinate just remembering it... ugh). I don't understand what  induces procrastination when it comes to doing something I enjoy, like writing.

Here's a glimpse into my mind as I reason my way through this and find ways to encourage myself:

1. Procrastination due to waiting for the perfect idea.  It would be great if every blog post could be EPIC, but needing to have an EPIC idea before starting will stop me from starting.  Same with everything else in life.  If you wait until you have it perfect in your head before you start doing it, it's going to be a whole lot harder to begin.  Just start. Give yourself the option of making it EPIC when you edit. Unfortunately, I don't edit these and can't give myself that option but the need so successfully complete the #31writenow challenge of writing every day in August acts as substitute motivation.

2. Procrastination due to procrastination. Sometimes a rhythm of immediately-not-doing the thing you most mean to do emerges.  Throw that rhythm off beat quickly!

3. Procrastination due to fear of failure.  It sounds extreme to be scared of a blog post.  I think the real fear is not doing well with something that I want to be a significant part of my career.  One day, I want to see my name in CD inserts (if CDs are not extinct like some kind of media Brontosaurus) credited as a songwriter both for my own band and many other artists.  I want to hear radio announcements with my name following the words "a new play by emerging playwright..." I want to see my name under the title of a book stamped "New York Times Bestseller" at the top.  BUT WHAT IF I FAIL AT WRITING A BLOG POST?!  Calm down. If God's given you a gift, you will be productive with it. Just have faith.

As you can see, this is an area where I have a lot of growth left.  Got procrastination issues? Let's grow together!


The book I've been meaning to read for about 2 years...





No comments:

Post a Comment