Thursday, August 22, 2013

Grandma and Jesus

Today, my grandmother finally made her great escape.  You see, she's been trying to get back to Hagley Gap, where she was born in Jamaica, for quite some time now. Almost on a daily basis (unless it was cold outside) she would devise her escape plan of walking to Jamaica from New Jersey, pack her bag, and make her attempt.  Her plan never quite worked, but today, God devised the plan and His plans always work.

Thelma Roberts passed away this afternoon.  If you go to the houses of several people she knew, you'll find hanging above doorways JESUS needlepoint art she made and gave to them.  It's sewn in a way that you have to stare at it for a little while until you see the word, but once you see it, the JESUS pops out and you can't believe you didn't see it before.  That is how I know she's okay.  Even as her mind began to fail her, her spirit never did as I would still hear her singing hymns that signified her trust in the Lord.  Jesus is so incredibly real to me because of seeds planted by people like my grandmother that I can't even believe I didn't see Him before.  The most popular verse in the Bible says that God gave His only begotten son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.  She believed in Him. She has everlasting life.

Thank you, Lord, for my grandmother and the effect she had on everyone she inspired and took care of.  Thank you for every smile she put on a little girl's face when she presented her with the doll she'd sewn for them.  Thank you for the courage you gave her to come to this country alone and start a new life.  Thank you for the memories we have of eating the mangos she grew in her back yard that we  always made a mess with.  Thank you for your Holy Spirit being with her every moment of her life encouraging, comforting, and guiding her.  

Dear Grandma,
           You made it to Gap. Perhaps not Hagley, but definitely Heaven.  Enjoy the sunshine and the palm trees.  Tell Pa I said Hi.  Thanks for introducing me to our Lord so that I can be sure I'll see you again.  Love you.

Love,
      Nat



No comments:

Post a Comment