Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"Deep Knows" and Floppy Disks

I read an article today by writer Ronlyn Domingue about what she calls the Deep Know. She describes the moment when you're absolutely certain about what you're supposed to do. Whether or not you acknowledge and adjust your life to pursue that "deep know" is up to you.

This got me thinking about one of my own Deep Knows. Just like Ronlyn, mine involves writing.  I remember writing a poem in the 2nd grade called "Draw and Write" that led to that moment I knew I was supposed to write.  After writing that poem, my teacher encouraged me to write more poems and let me write them on the classroom computer while the other kids had to do other things.  I saved them on a floppy disk that unfortunately, I don't have anymore... not that I'd have anything to put it in.  All of my elementary school teachers were impressed by my creative writing and encouraged me in it.

It must have been around middle school that I lost the understanding that I was supposed to write because I stopped doing it and forgot all about my Deep Know.  It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I took a film writing course and a teacher reminded me by encouraging me to pursue creative writing in college. I didn't do it even though professors in college would ask me if I was a writing major or minor after reading my  papers.  I did take courses that involved writing, but I never made it a priority because logic told me that writing was the least practical thing I could major in. So, I majored in Social Science, the second least practical thing I could major in.

The third time I was confronted with the fact that I wasn't focusing on what I should was a prophecy spoken over me at church. The pastor, who had never met me, said that I would shape people's lives with my creative words.  It seems as if God's been screaming my Deep Know at me at various times throughout my life and I've responded with lots of "practical" excuses.

This morning, I realized that the last quarter of 2013 is about to begin and it feels like the year hasn't even started.  There's no more time to waste. It's time to hit the accelerator and make up for lost time.  Think about your own Deep Know. Are you in line with it? If so, great! If not, hop to it! Let's go, we're not getting any younger!








No comments:

Post a Comment