Friday, August 2, 2013

Yosemite Sam and Spiritual Growth

Cartoons used to show a character's face turning red and steam blowing out of their ears to indicate frustration and anger. I never understood this depiction until the past few years or so because nothing had ever made me so upset that I actually feel like I'm burning up on the inside.  Now, management responsibilities at work and misunderstandings or  difficult situations within my own business allow me to get that experience regularly.

At first, I let those feelings run their course because I didn't know what to do with them, but now I have  an alternative; I give it to God.  I'm not saying I don't still feel like Yosemite Sam looks sometimes (minus the being a white, red-haired cowboy part... I never feel like a white, red-haired cowboy... I feel like the black-haired black girl that I am) but I can let it go much more quickly and get to the clear thinking stage.  We do and say irrational things when driven by anger that cause more problems. I know that's obvious, but how to stop doing it was not so obvious.  Trusting God with the situation allows me to see where I've made a mistake or be more understanding of the mistakes others make.  It also gives God the green light to just handle the situation so I don't have to worry about it.

Thank God for the perfect peace promised in the Word (even makes for a nice alliteration).  After the steam clears, I'm actually thankful for these opportunities for growth. How do you handle anger?


No comments:

Post a Comment