Saturday, August 10, 2013

I Know and You Know

I generally don't follow my instincts because they don't have great leadership skills.  When making a decision however, being overly careful in researching every possible course of action and evaluating every possible outcome hasn't produced the best results.

I'm sitting in the library right now and to my left, there are about 50 books on writing resume cover letters. I'm not sitting here because I need to learn how to write a cover letter, this just happens to be my favorite place in the library to sit... or perhaps it's a sign and I am supposed to be looking for another job... Anyway,  cover letters are generally one page long and there are 50 WHOLE BOOKS on writing them.  That is entirely too much information and I know there is a time  where I would have gone through many of those books carefully, but now I understand the best way to know how to write a cover letter is experience.  Get a quick idea from a book or two, write a few letters, and once you see the results, you figure out how best to do it.  

I don't know if that's the best example, it's just the first that came to mind because of where I'm sitting. My point is, there comes a point where the answer to moving forward doesn't come from taking in MORE information.  Sometimes I look up answers to questions I already know the answer to without realizing it or look up how to do something that I could find my own way to do.  Listen my fellow information junkies,  start looking for answers inside yourself first instead of everywhere else! A book or the internet helps if you have absolutely no clue or no experience, but don't let it make you lazy or lose confidence in what you actually know. Once you know it, trust that you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment